All the time I’m not writing I feel like a criminal…. It’s much more relaxing to actually write.
Imagine that you are dying. If you had a terminal disease would you finish this book? Why not? The thing that annoys this 10-weeks-to-live self is the thing that is wrong with the book. So change it. Stop arguing with yourself. Change it. See? Easy. And no one had to die.
It’s coming up on 5 months since inspiration struck for my current project, Starshine. Progress slowed considerably due to the holidays, but I’m back at it. Word count is right about 30k. By comparison, it took me 4 years to reach 40k words with System Seven. This alone is an indication of how outlining can be beneficial. Additionally, the quality of the story benefits – its focus and its pace is superior to that of S7. I’ve not set a deadline for completion of first draft but I have committed to steady work on it.
I did share writing time with S7 during the month of November and a single week in December to make some edits and to update the cover art. I published those changes on Amazon and promised myself that was the final, final touch for S7 – it will forever be my first, as is.
What you want is practice, practice, practice. It doesn’t matter what we write (at least this is my view) at our age, so long as we write continually as well as we can. I feel that every time I write a page either of prose or of verse, with real effort, even if it’s thrown into the fire the next minute, I am so much further on.
A novel is like a bow, and the violin that produces the sound is the reader’s soul.
- Make sure each pronoun agrees with their antecedent.
- Just between you and I, the case of pronoun is important.
- Watch out for irregular verbs which have crope into English.
- Verbs has to agree in number with their subjects.
- Don’t use no double negatives.
- Being bad grammar, a writer should not use dangling modifiers.
- Join clauses good like a conjunction should.
- A writer must be not shift your point of view.
- About sentence fragments.
- Don’t use run-on sentences you got to punctuate them.
- In letters essays and reports use commas to separate items in series.
- Don’t use commas, which are not necessary.
- Parenthetical words however should be enclosed in commas.
- Its important to use apostrophes right in everybodys writing.
- Don’t abbrev.
- Check to see if you any words out.
- In the case of a report, check to see that jargonwise, it’s A-OK.
- As far as incomplete constructions, they are wrong.
- About repetition, the repetition of a word might be real effective repetition – take, for instance the repetition of Abraham Lincoln.
- In my opinion, I think that an author when he is writing should definitely not get into the habit of making use of too many unnecessary words that he does not really need in order to put his message across.
- Use parallel construction not only to be concise but also clarify.
- It behooves us all to avoid archaic expressions.
- Mixed metaphors are a pain in the neck and ought to be weeded out.
- Consult the dictionery to avoid mispelings.
- To ignorantly split an infinitive is a practice to religiously avoid.
- Last but not least, lay off cliches.